Monday, February 20, 2017

Unexpected Gifts

Having Ben out on his mission is a very bittersweet thing. I LOVE that he is out serving the Lord and I KNOW the blessings he will receive for years to come. On the other hand, having my boy far from home, navigating through the new "missionary" life, struggling emotionally and physically at times ALL without me...makes this Mom worry. 😟Deep down I know he is OK and he is in the Lord's hands but us Mom's need some reassurance sometimes. It's interesting to me that since he has been gone, there have been some days that are harder and more worrisome than others. On those days it NEVER fails that something happens to help ease my mind and heart. 
It's P-day today, but it is also President's Day. That means libraries are closed and an email from my son is probably not going to happen this week. I had mentally prepared myself for that (I know...it's weird that I even have to do that, but I look forward to those emails and proof of life pictures) and so I expected nothing to come. But something did, a tender mercy. 
I opened my FB this morning to a pleasant surprise. I was sent a friend request and a message from someone I wasn't familiar with and after a little research figured out it was a kid that had served where my son is. His name is Dexter Murray and he is yet another example that God has his angels on this earth looking out for all of our needs, including emotionally. His message read:
"Hey Sister Nelson! I was a Chinese missionary in Riverside 2013-2015. I came back this week and met your son! His Chinese is amazingly good, and he already seems adjusted to missionary life. I can tell he is going to do great things down there. Glad to know the Chinese members are in good hands. Congrats on raising an awesome missionary."
Dexter was a ray of sunshine this morning and I look forward to keeping in touch with this AMAZING young kid! The best part is...he included pictures. Woo Hoo!



Ben with Dexter, Elder Willes, Elder Zeng and Friends!

Another fun surprise was a visit from one of Ben's good friends, Camryn. She stopped by and gave us a wonderful gift. A hand drawn countdown picture for our family. It made me tear up that she would think of us and take the time to make that. 
Fun Countdown Chart

Ben, Elder Willes, Elder Zeng, Elder Phister
A member who fed these handsome Elders slipped each of them $20.00 to take themselves out to a great meal. Isn't that so kind. 😀



No comments:

Post a Comment