Monday, March 26, 2018

When You Use Your Chinese Language Skills To Bust Criminals


I can't wait for the part of the mission I know Chinese!!

SOOOOO it's a little late...

To explain my email caption. We spent a nice big chunk of our P-day today doing translation! Translation is always a stressful thing, especially when its very important. We had a family that had just moved from China. They requested we come do translation for them to buy a new apartment! So we did that for a good amount of time today which really, reallly stretched my Chinese. But we did it and it all worked out! I learned all kinds of new Chinese words and found myself a wonderful MIGRAINE! However, all went well and we loved to do the service.

So now we're here emailing tonight since our whole P-day got eaten up. 
One highlight of the week would have to be Amy's lesson. It was super awesome. We read Alma 32 with her and asked her how she could continue to grow her faith. She gave some great answers and accepted a baptismal date for April 15th. The Lord is blessing us a ton and we are hoping to have about 4 baptisms in April!! 
Church was also very fun! We had 6 investigators come and they all loved it. We found a new family this week and they came on Sunday. They ate it up... every second of it. When we taught them earlier that week the Mom got very emotional when we talked about the Book of Mormon. She was so excited there was another record to help her come close to her Savior! 

Great week and looking for another great one! Love all y'all! 

Elder Nelson 孙长老

Ben told us the funniest story from something that happened this week. 
"We were at our District Mtg. when we get a text from the English Ward Mission Leader. He says, "I need you to call me." I text back, "We are in a mtg. I'll call you in a bit." He says, "NO! I need you to call me back RIGHT NOW! I have a Chinese criminal that I have handcuffed and I need you to translate for me." I am thinking, "What the flip?" 
The Ward Mission Leader is a DEA Agent, so he busts people for drugs and Chinese launderers all the time. I walk out of the mtg and call him. Brother Gurero is pretty ancy and jumpy so to hear him all serious is weird. He says, "I need you to ask this Chinese criminal if he has keys to apartment C and what he's doing here." So I ask the guy and he says, "What?"  So I ask him again, "Do you have keys to this apartment?" He say no. I ask him if he lives in apartment C and he says, "No! No! No!" Brother Gurero asked me to ask him why he was here and the man said, "I am just here visiting a friend, I promise!" Then Brother Gurero says, "Bull crap! I want you to figure out why he's here!" The man keeps saying he is here just for a friend, he promises! I am aggressively getting the phone passed back and forth between the 2 of them translating. I am thinking, "This is super fun!" LOL 
Then Brother Gurero says, "Ask him if there are any drugs or weapons in his van." I ask him and he says no. Brother Gurero says, "Ask him again!" The man keeps saying, "I don't know what you are talking about! I have no weapons or drugs!" Then Brother Gurero says, "Ask him if we can search the van!" I ask him and the man keeps saying, "What? What?" Like he keeps playing dumb. He is stuttering Uh, Uh, Uh... and finally says, "Sure." Then Brother Gurero goes all back to normal and starts yelling to all the other DEA officers, "That's what's up baby! That's my homies! These boys speak Chinese! The 2 white boys, their 19 and they know Chinese! We got an up on the business now! That's my Elders, thanks guys!" and then he hangs up. 
So that was really fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment