Wednesday, November 30, 2016

In All Things Give Thanks

Thanksgiving in the MTC is VERY different according to Ben. The food is great and the day is filled with devotionals and service. The best part of the day...meeting an Apostle. Ben had the opportunity to speak with Elder Anderson personally and he cherished the advice he gave him. 
He said: 
"Elder don't be discouraged fight the good fight and love the people love the people love the people!" It was really cool to hear that from him directly. I'm so blessed being here right now even with all the crazy challenges that have been happening.
One of the recent challenges that has broke Ben's heart is one of his close friends in his District ended up having to return home due to some depression/suicidal issues. In Ben's words:

"I was really sad to hear that as he was one of the strongest people I know in the gospel. But Satan gets to even the best of us and we have to keep pushing along... I got to say one last goodbye before he headed back to England. He has promised to email me every week for the rest of my mission!"
My heart is breaking for my son and how hard that must have been for him. You spend every day and night with these kids. You share so much emotion and life with them because you have to in order to make it through. I sure wish the best for this poor young man and hope that Ben can stay in contact with him and hopefully reconnect at a later date.
On a more positive note Ben has become really close with one of his companions in their District. "He's just like me Mom, we are twins in our personalities!" is what he tells me. His name is Bai Zhonglao (Elder White). They decided it would be fun and memorize the song "Love is an open door" from Frozen and perform it in front of their District as a surprise. Of course my son has no problem playing "Anna" the girl part and I have to say it is pretty funny! It's hard for my husband and son to watch because they really get into the parts. I think it is FANTASTIC that they can goof around and have some fun in what is a very monotonous schedule and hard language to learn.
Speaking of the language, Chinese is the 2nd most difficult languages in the world to learn and it is kicking his butt! 😖However to hear my son say these words is very comforting.
"Mom, I've been studying my heart out every single day and I've never prayed this much in my entire life. Yet I feel I'm still falling short on my Chinese abilities. I'm going to keep pushing along and I know that I can do this! All I ask is if you can keep me in your guy's prayers it would be very appreciated." So proud of his fighting spirit.
There was one last surprise this week. The investigator they have been teaching since they arrived turned out to be their teacher. She came in looking totally different and threw them all off. What a fun way to introduce yourself!


 Frozen Video (Ben & Elder White)

No comments:

Post a Comment