Sunday, December 25, 2016

Bittersweet Day



Is it 4:45 pm yet? (Wait 5 min) Is it 4:45 pm yet? (Wait 5 more min) This was pretty much my routine after about 1:00 pm on Christmas. Knowing that Ben was going to call around that time, all I could do was continue to check the clock. The anticipation was killing me! I couldn't wait to hear his voice.
THE PHONE RINGS! I slide across the floor like Tom Cruise in "Risky Business" and answer the phone like I just ran a marathon. 
"Mom?" is what I hear on the other end and I scream, "BEN!" I cannot contain my excitement and my tears. I couldn't even get another word out because I was UGLY crying so bad. Ben can hear me and says, "OH NO Mom, you can't start crying yet." I hand the phone to my husband because I can't even mutter words out but I knew he only had limited time so I didn't want ANY of it to go to waste. After I compose myself, we have him on speaker and proceed to spend the next 30 minutes soaking in every sentence, breathe, laugh and eventually tears as the clock ticked down closer to him having to hang up. 
It was such a bittersweet day for me. While I got to hear his voice and be able to go back and forth in a conversation, I knew it was going to be a long time before I would get to talk to him again. For me the next few days were a "re-adjustment" again. Going back to the mental routine that I had gotten use to. Don't get me wrong, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the moment and I will cherish it until Mother's Day when I get to hopefully talk and actually see him!



孫長老
Elder Nelson




No comments:

Post a Comment